If you’re like me, when the weather gets gloomy, your skin does too. I’m missing that healthy glow that only the sun can bring. Or so I thought…
Quick Random Tangent: When I began informally studying herbalism a few years ago, I had no idea that so many plants held so many unique healing powers. Nature has everything we need if we just know where to look for it, and the internet has the resources to help us find it. Pretty interesting circle of life when you think about it.
So, as I watched the rain fill up muddy puddles in my yard, I thought, I’d like to make a little muddy masque that would bring the ‘glow’ back to my skin. The ingredients I used are filled with vitamins, antioxidants and contain skin softening properties. Everything you need for a healthy glow.
Vitamin Rich Masque for Glowing SkinPrint This
- 1 Tablespoon Lavender Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Wild Yam Root Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chickpea & Fava Flour or Chickpea Flour
- 1 Heaping Tablespoon Raw Honey
- 3 - 6 Tablespoons Aloe Vera Juice - Depending on preferred consistency
- 1-2 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- Combine Dry Ingredients: Lavender Powder, Wild Yam Root Powder, Chickpea Flour. Mix to break up any clumps.
- Warm the Raw Honey so that it mixes into the powders easily. Do not overheat raw honey, use a warm water bath to heat*
- Pour the dry ingredients into honey in small increments, mixing after each increment to avoid clumps. The texture should look similar to packed brown sugar.
- Pour Aloe Vera Juice into the powder/honey mixture in small increments, mixing after each pour. Stir together until it’s a thick paste consistency.
- After all ingredients are mixed, add 1-2 drops of Lavender Essential Oil to give a relaxing floral scent to your masque.
- Apply masque to face (and scalp if desired), avoid eyes. Leave the masque on for 2 minutes or up to 15 minutes, it’s up to you. Then rinse off.
- To gently exfoliate skin, massage gently with wet hands and then rinse off.
* Warm water bath for raw honey: Place container with honey into a bowl filled with hot water until the honey is soft.
** This masque is to be used right away after making, there are no preservatives so each prepared batch must be used within a few days, and kept covered in a refrigerator during that time.
After rinsing off the masque, I like to dip a cotton ball into the Aloe Vera Juice and apply it all over my face. It not only clears away any bits of the masque, but it leaves my skin feeling clean and soft after it dries.
Ingredient Benefits in the Vitamin Rich Masque:
Wild Yam Root
- It contains amazing skin-friendly nutrients like beta carotene, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and antioxidants which can help to prevent wrinkles and other signs of aging.
- The antioxidants also protect the skin from sun rays and environmental pollutants.
- It’s also been known to hydrate the scalp, so go ahead and massage it into your scalp before a shower.
- It contains anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
- It can accelerate the healing process for irritated skin.
- It contains powerful antioxidants and can inhibit the growth of skin bacteria.
- It can increase circulation in skin, keeping the cells healthy and boosts their renewal process. This also makes for a healthy scalp, so again, it’s a perfect masque to massage on before a shower and rinse off.
- It reduces oiliness and removes makeup residue.
- It gives skin an instant glow and leaves it smooth and soft.
- Honey is a natural humectant, which means it draws moisture from the air into the skin, allowing moisture to penetrate and hydrate your skin.
- It contains antibacterial properties that clarify skin and cleanses your pores gently.
Aloe Vera Juice
- It was called the “plant of immortality” by the ancient Egyptians.
- It moisturizes skin without giving it a greasy feel.
- For men: Aloe vera gel can be used as an aftershave treatment as its healing properties can treat small cuts caused by shaving.
- Aloe leaves are packed with antioxidants including, beta carotene, vitamin C and E which can help improve the skin’s natural firmness and keep the skin hydrated.
- Aloe Vera Juice is also good for scalp and hair since it removes excessive sebum on the scalp and reduces dandruff while moisturizing both scalp and hair. A healthy scalp can in turn can promote hair growth.
Please feel free to comment with any questions below and I’ll answer them as soon as I can.